Machinists require specific skills to do their jobs effectively. They must be able to monitor operations to ensure machines are working properly, apply critical thinking when necessary, and control operations of equipment and systems. Machinists must also engage in active listening, be able to adjust their actions in relation to others' behaviors, and monitor themselves, others, and organizations and apply corrective actions when needed.
- Effective oral and written communication
- Concentrate on a task without being distracted
- Identify, analyze, and solve complex problems
- Knowledge of machines, tools, and materials
- Physical strength and dexterity